Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Failure.

So, I tried potty training and I was not ready. Kenya was a trooper and did well the first two days, but I thinking I was trying to do too many things at once. Changing naps, weaning and potty training seemed too much for me. Also, it was getting too expensive because I was using about twice as many diapers than I was before. So, I am going to try and get the other things under control and then maybe she will be big enough for underwear.
Easter was fun. We ended up taking a day trip for Easter dinner in Libby with my parents. Over all a wonderful day! I will try to post pictures soon.

4 comments:

Brittney said...

I honestly think anything before the age of 2 is the child potty training the parent to look for the "signs" rather than the parent potty training the child to take care of their own potty trips. Kenya is super advanced for her age and going potty in the toilet is a great step in the right direction, but I don't think you should potty train your child until they can control when they go and know how to "hold it." Otherwise it will always be a mad rush to the bathroom and a lot more work for you as a parent. Honestly kids don't develop the physical ability to "hold it" until they are closer to the age of 2. Potty training Katie Marie was one of the worst experiences ever and I definitely don't plan on rushing into the experience with Belinda until she is way over the age of 2 and is showing many signs of being ready, not just wanting to go on the potty. I didn't potty train KM until she started screaming because she didn't want to pee in her bathtub and was trying to hold it and asking me to put a diaper on her so she could go potty. That's when I knew she was ready. Even then it was hard and because I was pregnant with Belinda I had to have the support from Randy. We did potty charts, rewards, and we let her run around with a long dress on for several days with nothing underneath because they need to feel that feeling of being wet and having pee run down their legs. They won't like that feeling and will want to stay dry, if they don't understand all of these concepts, then you probably won't be very successful in potty training. Plus you really don't want to be the one doing all the work. You want your child to be the one taking themselves into the bathroom to go potty and to have them be independent. Sorry this advice is so long. Take care.

kelsey said...

I'm so sure you are a failure, your kid is so young silly lady!! We are impressed with your attempt either way. :)

Sha nay nay said...

It's not a bad thing to wait, some people just wait too long. You can still work with her on it, b/c getting them comfortable enough to use the toilet, especially for pooping, is sooooo tough. So getting her used to it is a GREAT way to start. I'm amazed that you even tried this early, good for you!

Anonymous said...

I don't like this post title! You didn't fail! Not one bit! I'm sure you've heard the Thomas Edison quote... where, when asked about how many times he failed to make the incandescent light bulb he responded: "I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."

I don't want to minimize your feelings, but I really like you a lot (pretty much love you, if you want to get specific) Lois, and I don't want you to think you failed. Because you certainly did not! Kenya isn't 35 and still wearing diapers, never once using the potty. You've got time, and you're one awesome mama! You'll get her there! :-D And I'm here rooting for you!