Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween X2

We actually managed to have a rather American Halloween here.  Robert was excited because we actually got to celebrate it 2 times.
We started our Halloween by dressing up for our students on Halloween day.  It was quite fun seeing their reactions.  I was a pirate.  Robert was the Tooth Fairy.  Yes, that is right with wings, a wand, girly make-up, and harmed with a toothbrush, mouthwash, and floss.  It was fun!
Kenya was a witch and Jasmin was the cutest panda anyone has ever seen,  
On Halloween night we had invited some of the people from church to come over and hang out.  It was a fun little party for the girls. The first hour was just adults and we chatted.  Then an Italian family that we met a few weeks ago was able to make it.  They have 3 kids and Kenya and Jasmin got to play with them.  We played pin the face on the Jack-O-Lantern and I had jars of candy that the guests could guess how many pieces of candy were in the jar and then they won the prize.  I made homemade cupcakes with chocolate frosting that I paid a fortune at the store for.  Well worth it though.  We have orange colored cupcakes with chocolate frosting.  They looked very festive.    The other thing that we did we draw a face on an orange to make it look like a Jack-O-Lantern.  The kids trick-or-treated at one of the doors in the house.  We had our apartment decorated with all kinds of Halloween art that we as a family made through out the month of October.  I even bought a very small pumpkin looking squash to carve.  (Although we have not yet carved it because we have not had time.)
Our Halloween party included 2 other couples from America, our nanny from Madagascar, another couple (he is from the Congo and she is from Korea) and a wonderful Italian family of 5.  It was super fun!
The second day we celebrated with a party for our students at school.  This party was much like a Halloween carnival you would expect to attend at a elementary school or something. Robert went as a zombie with a zipper face and I went as a baker.  I don't think people here really got the baker costume though because they really don't have bakers here.  The girls were the same costumes.
At the beginning of the party the students performed so skits (singing and dancing to somewhat English song).  Robert taught one of the classes the Thriller dance and they also included to ever so popular Opa Gang Nam Style moves into the dance.  It turned out well.
Next we have 3 rooms set up for the rest of the party.  In one room were some snacks and a place to chat.  Also in that room we have boxes set up with objects in them for the students to put their hands in that were labeled as human body parts, such as, brains, intestines, warts and blood and guts.  This is a classic game at Halloween parties. 
The next room was for games.  The games all really came together at the last minute.  We had doughnuts on a string, bobbing of apples, bingo, and pin the nose on the  witch.  Again, all of the classic games for Halloween.  The students really joined right in and were not too shy about playing the game.  Which I will mention, I made the 80+ doughnuts from scratch and they were super yummy.  I showed the students how to operate the doughnuts on a string and stayed to supervisor for a while but then I had to go and start the bobbing for apples.  The students did wonderful at running the game.  The bobbing for apples went great and we had lots of fun. 
The third room was for dancing.  Robert's plan was to have Halloween music playing and maybe teach them some dance moves, but I guess the students took over the music and did some dancing by themselves.  It seems to work out just fine though.  
Everyone involved had a great time and so we are calling this Halloween party a success.  We had a lot of the school changing plans on us like the last party we tried to through for our students in Shenzhen, but for the most part we were allowed to do the games and such as we liked.  I felt like it was something that we were able to do for our students.
I am glad it is over, but it was fun to do.  After a long day of getting ready and partying we then went to pizza for dinner at Pizza Hut.  

No comments: