Last night I received a text message from my sister telling me that Osama bin Laden had been killed by US forces. Of course the first thing I did was to "google" it. Sure enough many confirmed tid-bits on the matter, but no real details. Then within 30 minutes President Obama spoke on the matter live from the White House and confirmed the news with details. My reaction...
Well I know it is a good thing that he is dead. We can learn from the Book of Mormon that is better that one man die than so many others. Is this something to rejoice over? I do not feel so. Yes, we should be proud of our country and what we have accomplished, but we should not celebrate the dead of any person. (True I did not personally loose someone as a direct effect of his planned terror attacks and maybe I would think differently if I had. I hope not.) After the briefing from the president last night the news showed a crowd gathered outside the white house who were celebrating like it was the winning of a sporting event. This also makes me think of something in the Book of Mormon. People became so wicked that they delighted in the shedding of blood. I am glad to see that as I surfed the web today looking for more news and updated information and details that the topic of many major news stations had headlines leading to the same question I had about rejoicing or celebrating over his death. As I was reading on facebook this morning a friend of mine made a posted that I very much agreed with. It was by Joey Franklin,
"And Moroni was a astrong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect bunderstanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery"
This fits exactly how I feel. Thanks for putting it into words for me!'
Another thought that I had was, "Wow, our intelligence agencies CAN keep a secrete." This was even before Obama announced that this mission had been in the works for 8 months. With all of the negative press and such that our government gets sometimes I begin to think that there is no one in our government or agencies that can be trusted. Well, there were no leaks in this operation and had there been it would not have been possible. I know that really there is so much that we do not know about, but there is also so much that is lost and so many complication because people cannot keep their mouths shut.
So, there you have it. A little look into what I have been thinking about about and how I have been feeling.
Monday, May 02, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment